The computer is one of the things that will let you do almost anything in one second, but on the other, you will get hit with a Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error out of nowhere in the other.
There is no predicting what’s going to happen on a computer and what are the changes that are happening inside the software department, so you can roll back the changes or replace them with a better option.
The blue screen of death error is the most painful error on the Windows-based operating system. The occurrence rate of Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error is inconsistent.
As I said before, in one minute everything works perfectly, and in the other, you will see a blue screen on the windows with a frowny face.
While the error can be a little persisting on a computer. But luckily, you are not the only one who is going through this problem alone; there are plenty of people who reported online about seeing Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error error on their computer.
When too many people face some kind of error. Then the solution would be not that far away from the problem.
The answer is the same here too. Before you take a jump to the fixing aspect of Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error, we first have to know what exactly is Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error and how it affects our computer system.
Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error in Windows 10
This blue screen error refers to the violation of the Direct X graphics kernel subsystem. In short, the error occurs on a computer if a corrupt driver is interfering with the graphics processing unit.
The error is mostly found in the windows based operating system, mostly in the windows 10 version. The origin of the error is still unknown, but for most people, Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error occurs after a windows update. After the upgrade, people tend to see this error on their screens.
The Reasons for Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error
There are plenty of reasons why you see this error on your screen. Some of them are:
- Directx Graphics Kernel Subsystem Violation – This error refers to the bad installation of Direct X on the computer.
- Graphics card driver error – Old graphics card drivers can create plenty of issues on a computer; this error is one of them.
- Outdated BIOS – There are plenty of users online, who saw the success on their part to fix the error Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error after updating the BIOS.
- Third-party software – installing an unknown app on a computer, has led to creating Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error on the computer.
These are some of the reasons why you see this error code on your computer. But don’t worry, applying the right solution would erase the problem from scratch so you can go back to using the computer as you always were.
Here are the methods that you can apply to fix the error from your computer.
Six Ways to Fix Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error Easily
Method 1: Updating the Graphics Driver
The first solution is to remove the Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error by updating the graphics driver as the main focus behind this error has always been video-related issues. So fixing the graphics driver would resolve the issue that you are having on the computer.
To do that, you need to know what kind of graphics card you have. Whether it is AMD or Nvidia, both of them have their own website, where you can download the drivers from.
There are ways you can follow to install the driver without messing up the system. Most of the time, when you are installing a graphics driver, it is better to remove the older version of the driver first.
Overlapping the new driver with the old one will cause some issues in the long run. So might as well remove the old driver first, then go for the new one. To do that
- First, you need to go to the AMD or Nvidia website.
- From here, you have to find the Nvidia driver’s web page.
- Here you will see the information about the latest driver and how much your graphics card benefits from having the latest driver in the system.
- There will be an option for you to choose the driver by giving information about your computer manually, or you can go the automatic way, which is where the website will scan your computer to find the right driver it needs.
If it doesn’t solve your Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error, then follow the next method on the line.
By the way, let’s find out what is ETD Control Center.
Method 2: Uninstalling Antivirus
A lot of times, antivirus brings the worst out of the computer; this is happening to be one of the cases. If you have any security software installed that belongs to a third-party vendor.
Then you need to uninstall it. Much outdated security software would block essential software or prevent the newer files from getting access to the computer.
Follow the steps below to remove the antivirus application from the list
- Open RUN. By pressing Windows + R.
- Here type in “appwiz.cpl”, and then hit Enter.
- This will take you to the control panel. Here you need to find the antivirus software.
- Once you find the culprit, you need to execute it by uninstalling it.
- After a restart, your computer will take Windows Defender as your primary and the only security software on your computer.
This is one of the best ways to remove the Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error from your computer.
Method 3: Reinstalling Drivers
This is where you reinstall graphics card drivers to solve the problem. If you already have the latest version of the drivers.
Then you can follow this method to fix Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error. There are many users online who have reported seeing success after reinstalling the graphics driver.
Follow the steps to make that happen.
- Open RUN. Pressing Windows + R.
- In the Run dialog box, type in ‘devmgmt.msc’ and then press Enter.
- This will open up the Device Manager window. Here you need to go under the display driver and then uninstall the graphics card with the graphics driver.
- In these steps, go to the control panel. Remove the graphics driver from the list.
- Here perform a hard reboot. Then follow method one if you don’t have the graphics driver stored inside of your local drive.
- If you have deleted the older version of the driver, then you need to download them again from the official site. And install them again.
For many people, this solution has been the right one and fixed the problem they were having with their system.
By the way, here are the best GPU graphics cards for 1080p 144hz for your reference.
Method 4: Update BIOS
Updating the BIOS is another way to fix the issue Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error. You need to get the latest version of the BIOS. The update of the bios requires knowing all the information regarding the BIOS version and the manufacture of the bios.
Once you have found out all the details about the BIOS and the version of the BIOS installed on your computer.
You need to head toward the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard. On the website, you will see plenty of guidelines that you will need to follow to update the bios. They would have to type in the model name or select the model name of their motherboard.
Then look for the proper driver. You need to get the latest version of the BIOS update to change the performance of your computer.
Method 5: System File Checker
Many of the functions that come with the windows have important functionalities to them that will come in handy. One of them is the System File Checker. It is one of the default features that you will get with windows. You can use this function to solve many issues that you are having with your computer.
Follow the steps below to do the system file check on the computer.
- Open RUN, by pressing Windows + R.
- Here type in Command Prompt, then press Enter.
- On the command prompt, type in ‘sfc /scannow.’
- This will start the process of checking your entire computer for errors; this process has a high potential of finding the corrupted files on the computer.
- Once the computer finds the errors that have been causing Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error on your computer;
- It will reboot your computer, and start performing the right action on the error that is found on the system.
Method 6: Reinstall Direct X
As one of the reasons for Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error was a failed installation of Direct X on your computer. If you have a graphics card installed on your computer if the graphics card supports DX12 or DX11. You need to download that version of Direct X on your system to fix the problem at hand.
Once you know what kind of Direct X your graphics card supports, you can download that specific one for your graphics card. It would be better if you uninstall the previous one off the computer to get the new one installed. This solution has worked for so many people in so many different ways.
Method 7: Clean boot
Here you need to perform a clean boot with every non-Microsoft-related app, startup, and service-disabled. Once you get them disabled, the error Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error would be gone from your computer forever.
- Open RUN.
- Then here type in – msconfig.
- Here you can disable a lot of apps and startups that belong to a third-party vendor; here, you can also open the computer in safe mode too. Doing this will probably solve your problem. As some of the reasons for Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error are due to third-party software.
Clean boot is always a better option before resorting to restoring the windows.
Fixing Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error BSOD error on a computer wouldn’t be the toughest task you will do on a computer, but it will come close.
All the BSOD errors have this pattern that is unusual, as their appearance on the computer can’t be traced, even on a brand new computer, they can pop up.
It will get hard for anybody to spot the reason why that happens on your system. But following the method above will help you get close to the solution, so you can fix the Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error on your system without resorting to deleting everything or something as bad as replacing the hardware, which will be necessary in some BSOD error cases.