Windows is a mystery box with a lot of surprises. Sometimes you will get a good one that fixes your problem on its own, and other times you will get the error out of the blue, it will get hard to pinpoint exactly the origin of that error.
If you have ever seen the error ‘There was a problem sending the command to the program.’ Then you are not alone; plenty of windows users have seen this error on their system. The error is indeed very common in the computer.
Usually, it indicates that the windows version can’t connect to the MS Office applications. This will prevent you from using any MS office-based applications.
You can think of windows as a mystery box, sometime this error will fix itself, and the other times you have to handle the error, in a manual way.
This error can be annoying as it will pop up on the screen after the second or the third attempt of launching the office on the computer. Luckily there are solutions you can try to fix the error without depending on the windows troubleshooting program.
It will have you just try out a few methods below, once you follow all the steps that are written under each of the methods.
You can apply the method, so you won’t have to see it. There was a problem sending the command to the program anymore.
Method 1: Repair to fix There was a problem sending the command to the program
Corrupted system files can cause a lot of errors in the system. Luckily there are tools you can try to fix this error from spreading to other areas of the computer.
You can use Reimage plus to scan the computer for corrupt files and then attempt to fix it from there. After scanning, it will display all the positive results or part of the computer that is infected with errors.
This includes There was a problem sending the command to the program error; using these tools fixes your problem.
Method 2: Disabling Run Program as Administrator
Sometimes under the application setting, you will have the Run as Administrator setting to make sure the app runs with administrative privileges. If the setting is enabled, there is a way to disable it.
- Go to the Properties section of any Microsoft office product that you want to use or the one that has been showing the There was a problem sending the command to the program error.
- Just right-click on the app, at the bottom of the list you will be able to see the Properties option.
- Here make your way to the compatibility ta. Under the compatibility tab, you will find the option to ‘Run this program as an administrator‘ option. Uncheck the box, then launch the app again.
- If this method doesn’t solve the issue, move on to the next one on the line.
Method 3: Disabling Dynamic Data Exchange Option
To disable the Dynamic Data Exchange, follow the steps below:
- First, you need to open up MS office Excel. Here go to the options. You can do that by clicking on the office icon in the top left corner of the application.
- Once you are at the Options section, then make your way to the Advanced option.
- Here you need to locate the option in the name ‘Ignore other applications that use dynamic data exchange (DDE)‘, just disable it.
- After the disabled, restart the MS office to see if the problem persists or not.
Also, regarding the error of An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host, here are the top solutions for you.
Method 4: Changing Settings
Here are some of the things you can try to fix the problem. Don’t worry; you don’t have to flip the entire program to remove the error. You just need to make a few tune-ups. Again, follow all the steps below to achieve that.
- Open up Microsoft Excel
- Here click on the File option, from here make your way to the Option
- Here go to the advanced options, Disable the DDE.
- Now select the Trust Center, at the bottom, you will see another option called ‘Trust Center Settings.’
- Here go to the Macro Settings, Choose ‘Enable all macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run)‘
- And then check on the Trust access to the VBA project object model.
- Select External Content: Here Enable the Security setting for Data Connections and Security settings for Workbook Links. Click on Ok to solve the problem.
- Here select the ActiveX settings.
- Choose the option Enable all controls without restrictions and without prompting. (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run).
- Check if the problem is solved, if not then continue with the next step on the line.
- Go to the privacy option, and Uncheck the setting of “Check Microsoft Office documents that are from or link to suspicious websites.”
There are some of the setting changes that you can do on Microsoft office to solve the problem; there was a problem sending the command to the program error, internally, without resorting to reinstallation of the program.
By the way, if you are looking for the Microsoft Office 2013 product key, here you are.
Method 5: Fix it by Registry
Registry tends to solve most computer programs because a corrupt registry of any software will show new errors on the computer.
Many users have tried fixing the problem they are facing on their computer with a registry; you can try to fix the problem with the steps mentioned below.
Before taking a dive into how to fix the corrupted registry file, you need to create a backup of the old registry just in case something goes wrong.
- First, you need to launch Run; you can do that by searching on the taskbar or pressing Windows + R at the same time.
- Here you need to type in Regedit on the box; press Enter to launch the program.
- Now you will have plenty of options on the screen. Here you need to navigate to the address of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open.
- Just like your local directory, you need to expand the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
- Then Excel.Sheet.8 > Shell, then Open.
- Here you will see the folder ddeexec folder. Either you can delete this folder or rename it to fix the problem.
- Now click on the command folder, double click on the Default string. Replace /e or /dde with “%1“. Add the quotation marks too.
- After that double click on the command string, and do the same thing as you did with the default string above.
- Then click on, Ok.
Method 6: Disable the Excel Add-ins
- Open Excel > Option menu
- Here go to the Add-ins
- In the manage box, click Excel Add-ins then hit Go.
- Here you disable the add-in that you don’t need. First, you need to disable all the add-ins to see if the problem goes away, then you can try to do it one by one.
- After that, click on, Ok.
Method 7: Disable the Hardware Acceleration
Your graphics card might be behind the reason why you are seeing there was a problem sending the command to the program error code.
- Open Excel > File > Option
- Then go to the advanced pane.
- Check on Disable Hardware graphics acceleration.
- That’s it.
Method 8: Setting to Default
Sometimes if the ms office related files don’t have ms office as a default setting to open the programs, this can cause this error. Setting the office-related programs to the specific software will fix the error.
Here we are going to use all the products of MS Office to default office-related file format. So it can read all the file formats much more easily without any hiccups and errors.
- Open Run, by pressing Windows + R
- Type in Control Panel.
- Then hit Enter.
- Type in a Default program on the search bar to locate the Default program option;
- Here you set the format of the files on the software you want to open them from.
- On the left pane, you will see all the applications installed on your computer. That includes Office programs as well.
- On the right pane, you will see the files option.
- Selecting the proper file extension will fix the problem.
Fixing the ‘There was a problem sending the command to the program‘ error would not be easy, as you have to follow the methods above to fix the problem.
If you followed all the steps under each of the methods written above, then you will have no trouble removing the error from the computer.
Some people get worried about this error, but it is one of the most common errors people encounter with their office-related programs.
Due to compatibility issues, this error in the office gets out of the windows. It will happen out of the blue, even if you have a smooth-running office before, that is the annoying part of this error.