If you run a Discord server, you might have encountered the requirement of cleaning old unnecessary messages.
For many users, cleaning up these old messages is a painstaking task.
Things can become even more challenging when the number of messages piles up.
So, it would be handy for any user to learn how to clear Discord chat.
What Is Discord Used For?
Many individuals indeed consider Discord to be a voice chat app. However, Discord permits users to use text chats as well.
As a result, Discord users tend to share various messages in the form of text within the community.
Even though Discord is mainly used among gamers, it competes with other chat apps.
This article will explain how to properly handle the Discord server by removing unnecessary messages.
In addition to that, these instructions will be immensely helpful in managing the Discord server.
Besides, if you are wondering if there is a Discord account age checker tool, here are the different ways to easily check how old your Discord account age is.
Can You Send Text Messages On Discord?
Of course, Yes! The messages you send in Discord can fall into two different categories. Namely, they can either be Direct Messages or Channel Messages.
- Direct Messages: These messages are sent privately between two users.
- Channel Messages: These messages are sent within a group created within a particular channel.
Both of these messages work in pretty different ways. Also, different sets of rules are applied to both of the messages.
Can You Delete Discord Chat Texts In Batch?
How to clear Discord chat? At the initial stage of Discord, the administrators were permitted to delete the messages. More importantly, they were allowed to delete the messages in bulk form.
Also, the particular feature was included within Discord’s UI itself. However, this option has caused several issues within the database of Discord. When many admins simultaneously delete bulk messages on Discord servers, issues can occur.
To prevent such problems, this functionality was completely removed from the native UI of the Discord app. However, you can still delete the messages in Discord. The only thing is that they have made it relatively challenging.
Because of this relatively complex feature, users are not encouraged to delete messages like before. Because of this complexity, we intend to explain the process to our readers.
So, keep reading if you are using the Discord messaging app and learning to clear Discord chat.
How to Clear Discord Chat (Direct Messages) on Discord
There is no way to delete a message in Discord if it is a ‘Direct Message.’ So, our solution to this is to close the respective chat panel.
With that, you will be able to close the panel, and no one will be able to see messages. Also, if necessary, you can erase your copy of a respective message.
As a result, the respective message will disappear from history. However, the messages of the panel will actually remain in the servers and the other person’s chat panel.
If you wish to know how to clear Discord chat, follow the steps mentioned below.
Steps to Clear Direct Messages on Discord:
1) First, you should right-click on the user with whom you have a dispute.
2) Move to the pane labeled ‘Direct Message’ (located on the left-hand side of the screen). Then, hover the mouse pointer over the conversation. Then, click on the ‘X’ mark that appears.
In the Direct Message pane on the left side of the screen, hover over the conversation. Then, you should perform click on the X that appears.
3) You will see that the conversation will disappear immediately. However, this is not a complete deletion. Instead, it will just go from your end. You should also remember that you will not see any confirmation dialog box with this action.
That means you cannot undo the action. So, it is important to click on the ‘X’ buttons after thoroughly considering the action.
How to Clear Discord Chat (Channel Messages)
The previous option allows you to make Direct Messages disappear. This section will let you know how to clear Discord chat in channel messages.
When it comes to deleting channel messages in Discord, you can use three methods.
In this section of our article, we will explain those three methods so you can use them.
By the way, besides learning to clear Discord chat, let’s figure out how to record a Discord call.
Method 1: Clear Channel Messages on Discord Manually
Manual deletion is the first method we introduce to eliminate Channel Messages in Discord Chat. The following are the steps to do it.
1) As the first step, you should get the text channel opened (where the respective message is located).
2) Now, hover the mouse pointer over the respective message so you will see a three-dot icon. This icon contains options related to the message.
This message appears on the right-hand side screen. Then, you should select the option ‘Delete.’
3) Confirm the delete action.
This option works fine if only a couple of messages are deleted. However, this method may not work for you if you have many text messages. In this case, you will have to think of another convenient method.
In addition, if you wonder how to appear offline on Discord, you should check out these guides.
Method 2: Clear Channel Messages on Discord Using a Bot
You can consider using a Bot when there are multiple messages to delete from your Discord Chat.
There are designated bots that can be used to delete messages. There is no shortage of options to choose from when looking for a bot.
But if you can choose a bot like MEE6, that would be great as it delivers results. Also, the installation of this bot is pretty simple compared to the other options.
Mentioned below are the steps to delete messages using MEE6 Bot.
1) Log into your server of Discord.
2) Go to the MEE6 Official website.
3) Now, select the option ‘Add to Discord’ and give it the required permission on the server.
4) Select the server on which you will install the bot.
5) Authorize when MEE6 asks for permissions.
6) In the MEE6 control panel, you should enable the Moderation plugin option.
7) After the installation, you will see a large range of commands to use.
After authorizing, you will be able to use several commands to get the messages cleared. In this case, we recommend using ‘!clear @username’. This command will delete 100 messages from a user.
If you use ‘!clear 1000‘, you will delete 1000 previous messages on the respective channel. The number in the command defines the number of messages you can delete.
However, the maximum number of messages is 1000. You can delete up to 1000 messages simultaneously using this bot method. This is a very handy option compared to the previous options when you have bulks of messages to be deleted.
Method 3. Clear Discord Chat Messages by Cloning & Closing
In general, MEE6 is supposed to work fine unless something miserable happens. However, if it doesn’t work, there should be another option to find out how to clear Discord chat.
Although the MEE6 bot is a real convenience when it comes to deleting bulks of messages, it may fail occasionally.
So, you can try this cloning option if you have no success with the MEE6 bot option. We will explain how to solve the issue by cloning the channel per this option.
In fact, through this method, you create a whole new copy of the channel. However, the new channel you create will not contain any of the older messages. Well, this is a tricky process, right?
Steps to follow to get this process completed and delete old messages:
1) Make a list of all the bots you have included in the channel. The bots will not be copied when you clone a channel.
So, have them listed to install later once the channel is set up.
2) Right-click on the respective channel you intend to clone.
3) Select the option called ‘Clone Channel.’
4) You can now rename the channel if it is required.
5) Now, click on the option called ‘Create Channel.’
6) Delete the original channel where unwanted messages were piled up.
7) You can now open the new channel and install the bots again. This is when the list becomes essential.
Great! Now that all the messages are gone, you can start fresh from scratch.
Well, now you know how to clear Discord chat, you can put that into practice. We hope you’d find this information to be useful. Good luck!